Monday 19 August 2024

Fwd: OWT August 2024





OLD WYVES' TALES
 THE ONLINE VERSION
  AUGUST 2024
EDITED BY DENNIS J DUGGAN



EDITORIAL
   I have held-over the last three, relatively brief, items received recently as they will be needed for the next OWT.  But the memories still trickle in. No one seems able to explain why so many ex-pupils retain such an affection for what was, at least on the face of it, a perfectly ordinary state grammar school.  As Tony Baxter points out, it was not for everyone, a prime example being myself! 

OBITUARIES
   Geoff German (1965-71) reports the sad passing of David Stone (1964-71)  David's wife, Yvonne, is happy for the following announcement to appear in OWT.  We ere sad to announce the passing of David Stone in April of this year.  He attended CBS between 1964 and 1971.  Affectionately known as Jed at that time, Dave had a very successful career in the Customs and Excise service, and played an important role in the Public and Civil Service Union.  He was a committed family man, and leaves behind his wife Yvonne, son, daughter-in-law and three lovely grandchildren.  Renowned for his great sense of humour, passionate about cricket and an avid collector of Wisdens, he was a good and loyal friend to many.  This man will be greatly missed.  Go well, Dave.

FROM MARK HAYLER  1956-64  
I remember John Lawson's instructions regarding exams: Study the question carefully, because if you misread it - or even answer the wrong one - you might receive some credit but NO marks.  That advice stayed with me through my subsequent university exams.
I loathed football and cricket with equal intensity.  The solution?  Don't go!  But on one particular games day, John Dan Gurney and I had an inkling there would be a roll call.  So we rode to Grace Road on our bikes, removed our blazers and ties, then sat down with members of the batting side.  Mr Lawson noted our names, and roundly admonished us for not wearing the correct kit. 
But he failed to count the number of players and did not spot there were eleven sitting out, instead of nine.  So when the sides changed over it remained at eleven.  After an enjoyable afternoon sunning ourselves we rode home.

FROM TONY BAXTER   When I attend the Old Wyves' lunches I meet and chat with several Old Wyvernians, and try to remember their names and how they connect with my own memories.  On returning home I pull out my copy of Andy Marlow's remarkable book, and once again realise that City Boys' school was a very special place.  It didn't suit everyone, but certainly created memories.
On my first day, aged 10, 1950, I recall walking to Room 11 (I think) which was on the top floor.   We could sit anywhere, so I chose to the desk next to John Bird, as we had both come via St Barnabas junior school.
We sat nervously as our form teacher entered the room.  We stood up.  We sat down.  It was Basher Brewin.  He tapped his fingers on the table, and said slowly, 'You are all little puppies, and you have to be trained.'
Basher  may not have been the world's greatest mathematician, but as a teacher he was very effective.  You certainly did not mess with him.
A day or two later I remember, as I tried to finish a maths question, noting how the raindrops slid down the telegraph wires visible from my desk.  How can it be that, seventy four years later, I should recall those events?
Paul Bond was a classmate.  Fifteen years later he was Best Man at my wedding.  We both love classical music, and keep in frequent touch.
At the age of sixteen I decided I decided to become a teacher.  I wanted to offer what I had received at City Boys..... Positive memories!
In 1975 the City of Leicester School came into being, and accepted girls.  During March this year I was contacted by two girls, pupils from the 1980's, because they wished to set up their own reunions.  They visited, and we chatted for an hour.  I won't attend their reunions, but I hope they create the same memories that I have of City Boys'. 

FROM ALAN PYKETT  1959-66   Certain contributors, including our editor, have pointed out that pupils attending between 1959-64 were located in three different buildings.  But some, myself included, who stayed on until 1966,  managed four!  I consider that remarkable, when you consider  the norm was one building.
Moving on to my forty-year working life, with only one employer (Albeit with several changes of name) I was very parochial.  My longest commute was from Colchester Road to Wellington Street.  Linking that to my thirteen years as a schoolboy, I think my longest commute during those fifty three years was from Matlock Street to Elbow Lane.  That was from 1960-62.  Incredibly, during those two years, I managed to have lunch at home!  I ran all the way to the No 66 bus stop outside what is now Clarence House.  Mother had everything ready, so by eating the meal fairly rapidly I was able to return to Elbow Lane in a rather more leisurely manner.
On another topic, having just read the last OWT, I was always under the impression that the words of the school song were written by Mr Gimson, and the music was composed by Mr Sykes.  But I could be wrong.  Great memories of a great school (I seem to recall the lunch break was 12.20 - 2pm - Ed)

FROM ERNEST WELBOURNE  1948-55   I purchased a copy of Andy Marlow's book when my wife and I travelled to Leicester in 2012. I enjoyed the visit, noting the changes in the layout, but appreciating there was still much that retained the familiar feel of the building I recalled from my time at the school.
One of my more famous contemporaries was Joe Melia.  He was a couple of years older than me - quite a character and a born actor!  I recall his fabulous impression of Danny Kaye during a Christmas concert.  After attending Cambridge Joe entered the acting profession.  His career blossomed in films and TV, and we saw him play the comedy role in A Winter's Tale, at Stratford, where he received a standing ovation.  He was also goalkeeper in the school's soccer team.  (If you have the technology, find the episode of Public Eye titled The Comedian's Graveyard to see Joe at his best - Ed)

FROM HOWARD TOON   The Carbuncle - and I must agree it is an eyesore - seems to occupy the site of the previous brick building which was used to store the Cadet Force's Lee Enfield rifles. There was a bicycle rack behind the store, where many a Woodbine was puffed, well out of sight from the Prefects' room.

FROM BRIAN STEVENSON  1959-65   I am indebted to John Skevington for his reference to Boot, Saddle, To Horse and Away  (OWT May 2024)  For some reason the chorus has stuck in my mind all my life, but I had no idea where it came from.  Now I realise it must have lodged there during one of Bill Sykes' music lessons.  He must have decided to set Browning's poem to music, though for what reason we will probably never know.  Very catchy, anyway.  And the fact I've remembered it for sixty-odd years suggests it was quite an earworm!

FROM ROGER GANDY  19??-1959   I moved to Sidney over thirty years ago, so not been able to attend the reunions.  But I like to keep in touch with a few ageing reprobates such as Tony Baxter, Alan Manship and David Williams.  And I would like to commend Dennis, Brian, Frank and John for taking so much time and trouble to ensure these links are maintained.
I remember The Fountain pub, though don't recall ever going inside.  I believe it was owned by Holes Brewery, Newarke.  Their beer had a distinctive taste, and was never one of our favourites.  It was often dubbed Holes Piercing Ales, the reason being self-explanatory.  Our favoured watering holes were the Cherry Tree, the Saracen's Head, the Crown & Thistle and the Town Arms.  The latter was a lunchtime favourite when revising for 'A' levels, as it was close to the reference library.
The Cherry Tree, East Bond Street, (down the road from Joe Kay's trendy Espresso Coffee Bar) holds a special memory.  On my last day at CBS, July 1959, a few of us gathered for a lunchtime pint or two.  Most of the others were returning for their third year in the sixth form.  Somehow Mr Bell, the Headmaster, discovered this misdemeanor and we were summoned to appear before him.  He had various options, the most serious being the threat to withdraw our references to universities.  But so far as I recall no punishments were carried out, and I believe some of the group even continued their behaviour quite frequently and still managed to move on as planned.

FROM DENNIS BIGGS  1949-19??   My grandchildren had a giggle when I showed them a photo taken on my first day at CBS (September 1949)  They were amused to note my school cap, an essential part of the uniform, and the rules about where and when it should be worn were rigidly enforced.  That especially applied to the first-year pupils who, for their first few weeks, were often ragged by older boys who would snatch the caps and thrown around to tease them. 
I never understood why caps became so controversial, as it was a standard item for almost all schools at the time, and I even have photos of me wearing one as a member of the Wolf Cubs.  Johnny Jeeves, the master of Bradgate house, gave me a detention for not wearing my cap.  I recall that when I was in the sixth form a rumour circulated that the headmaster, Mr E J W Ding Dong Bell, intended to issue boaters to senior boys.  I was thankful that nothing further was heard, but it made a good talking point at the time.
After graduating I purchased a trilby, and thought I was the bees' knees.  Many men wore a peaked cap in those days.  My wardrobe contains a Russian hat, numerous sun hatsand assorted pork pie hats.  For chilly weather I don a French beret or a yachting cap.  I don't care how I look, so long as they help keep me warm.

FROM JOHN WILLIAMSON  1960-66   In the hope I might be accepted to read English at one of the Cambridge colleges, I had some additional tuition from Chris Lowe, Head of English.  Part of this required me to read, and analyse, various essential modern works of literary criticism.  One day Chris, referring to the author of several such studies, asked me a question along the lines of, 'So, how did you find Elsie Knights?'  I had not been diligent enough to actually read anything by that particular author, so I replied,'I think she has made some very interesting conclusions.'  Chris let out a long, exasperated sigh.  As I discovered later, he had been alluding to L C Knights, aka Lionel Charles Knights.  I didn't get into a Cambridge college.  I understand that Chris went on to teach at Wyggeston Boys, and eventually became Head Teacher at Prince William School, Oundle.

AND FINALLY...   I would just like to thank everyone for their continued support and enthusiasm.  I am so pleased that, even though the annual reunions reached their inevitable end, Brian's lunches carry on regardless.  That says it all!


Dennis J Duggan  1959-64
Founder of Wyvernians way back in 1998, at The Harrow, Thurmaston.  Anyone recall attending that first reunion?