---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Den Duggan
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2026 at 13:45
Subject: OWT Bill Mann Tribute Edition
To: Brian Screaton
From: Den Duggan
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2026 at 13:45
Subject: OWT Bill Mann Tribute Edition
To: Brian Screaton
OLD WYVES TALES
AUGUST 2026
A SPECIAL EDITION IN TRIBUTE TO
WILLIAM MERTON 'BILL' MANN
1938 - 2026
TEACHER AT CITY OF LEICESTER BOYS' GRAMMAR SCHOOL
AND SUBSEQUENTLY THE CITY OF LEICESTER SCHOOL
1960 - 1990
AUGUST 2026
A SPECIAL EDITION IN TRIBUTE TO
WILLIAM MERTON 'BILL' MANN
1938 - 2026
TEACHER AT CITY OF LEICESTER BOYS' GRAMMAR SCHOOL
AND SUBSEQUENTLY THE CITY OF LEICESTER SCHOOL
1960 - 1990
Bill Mann passed away on August 5th 2026, aged eighty eight. He had been in end-of-life care for some time.
FROM BOB CHILDS 1976 - 2009 (Staff) In 1972 I used to catch a bus from Watton, Norfolk, to Kings Lynn to complete my final year at grammar school. The coach made its way via various villages, including one called Merton. In 1976 my teaching career began at the City of Leiceater School and I met William Merton Mann - not realising he had been born in the village of that name.
During the 1980's, I played cricket in the Leicestershire League, and was selected to play in the Midlands League final at Edgbaston. It was Bill who helped persuade the Head to let me have the day off school, and I was able to play a major part in the Leicestershire League victory as a very accurate leg spinner.
As I got to know Bill, I realised he was a wonderful person, and the remarkable service he gave to local football. We frequently teased him about his Norfolk accent as he read reports of school matches in assembly as Head of Lower School. The word boots was pronounced as boats.
He was an exceptional colleague, who was widely respected and became a good friend. Meeting him in The Dove, after his retirement, with pipe always in hand, was a real pleasure.
A wonderful teacher and, as one of my colleagues said, a top bloke who gave far more to the two schools than many people realised up to - and even beyond - his retirement. It was a privilege to have known Bill.
FROM DAVID G WINTER 1959-67 Bill taught me in 1960-61, my second year, when he had just arrived at the school as a young, I guess, probationer teacher. I can't say he helped me to 'get' Physics, let alone enjoy it, so I proceeded along the 'L' rather than the 'S' pathway towards the sixth form.
However, looking back, what I remember is that he was one of the very first teachers I experienced who was able to engender respect without needing to assume a hard, authoritarian carapace to cover his own good nature. Bill's easy manner fostered engagement with the subject and himself. In those days, as the school was then, I think that was something pretty unusual, and an indication he was one of those rare phenomena - a born teacher.
My acquaintance with Bill Mann was brief and limited. It is clear, though, that he is held in high esteem, and remembered with great affection by generations of pupils who, thanks to him, did go on to 'get' and love Physics. I can easily understand why.
FROM CHRIS TATTON I was sorry to hear about the death of Bill Mann, my old Physics teacher.
He taught me in my 'O' level year, and between us we managed to get a grade B, which I was pretty pleased with.
Bill was such a good, enthusiastic, teacher that I wanted to do 'A' level Physics, but unfortunately I couldn't fit it into my timetable with Economics and Geography.
How differently my life might have turned out had I been able to take 'A' level Physics...
So thank you, Bill. RIP.
FROM ANDY BENNETT 1969-75 Bill was so welcoming to we 1969 first-formers, and his Physics lessons acted as a catalyst to me taking up a life-long interest in astronomy and space exploration. Bill was mindful that some of us (me included!) were not strong in mathematics, and would work through the formulas twice. Once for the high-fliers in calculus, and again for the non-calcule members, Equation; \(a=\frac{v-u}{t} etc.
His inspiration led to me meeting Buzz Aldrin at the Leicester Space Centre a few years ago, and to have a conversation with some of the controllers on the ill-fated Apollo 13 mission.
I thought of Bill whilst watching the recent solar eclipse in Cornwall. I am a member of the Norman Lockyer observatory, a few miles from where I live in Devon.
Thank you, Bill, for enriching my life.
FROM CHRIS SEAL 1974-82 In 1974 it was still City Boys and a grammar school (We were the last grammar school year) and Bill Mann was head of the junior school. I think that, because of his pipe, black gown and tweed jacket, we thought he was older than he actually was.
He taught me Physics, and during the first lesson he asked what was Physics. I didn't know, and Bill replied,'don't worry, you will by the time you reach 'O' level. Five years later he asked me the same question. I still didn't really know, but it was enough to obtain a 'C' grade.
Bill was a lovely gentleman, and still remembered me when he bumped into my parents in The Cedars - pint in one hand, pipe in the other.
FROM ALAN PYKETT 1959-66 Bill never taught me, so my memory is that he was one of the three masters on the school trip to Paris in the summer of 1965. Mr Orton was the lead master, supported by Mr Baguley and Mr Mann.
I am sure that Bill made a large contribution to the trip's success, with his laid-back manner shining through.
We saw all the sights of Paris, plus some of the surrounding area, including the Palace of Versailles.
On a personal note, this was my first trip abroad and my first experience of flying - two things I found very exciting.
Memories of a lovely gentleman.
FROM MIKE LONG I attended CBS from the mid sixties to the early seventies, and have fond memories of Bill Mann. He always brought Physics to life. When teaching escape velocity it came under the headings 'Men wishing to get away from it all parts 1 & 2'. When teaching the rate of cooling he asked, 'If you'd just made a coffee, and the phone rang, should you put the milk in before answering it, or after the call?'
I still remember these at the age of seventy one, so they must have worked.
I also remember Bill's sly chuckle when telling us that the alternative unit of measurement to hertz, for cycles per second, was rentavan, which he pronounced with a French accent.
A few years after leaving school I bumped into Bill. He was ringing the bells at St Denys' church for my school pal's wedding. He was a gent then, and always.
FROM GEOFF MANCHESTER 1961-66 I was never taught by Bill Mann. However, for some years after leaving school I would occasionally bump into him at Grace Road watching the cricket. He would not have known me, so one day I introduced myself and we had a brief chat about the old school days.
FROM DEAN SWANN 1971-77 Coming from a working class background on the Netherhall council estate, joining CBS came as a great shock! Sons of doctors, lawyers etc, with swimming pools at their houses and sixth formers driving cars.
Bill Mann gave me the confidence to survive my first few months, and always referred to me as Dean Thomas, my christian names.
Physics was my only science subject for 'O' level, and I received an 'A'.
I went on to have a thirty year career in the police force, and came across Bill as a magistrate. On one occasion I was called to give evidence in a not guilty plea for some forgotten minor misdemeanor. We never conversed, but after completing my evidence Bill thanked me, on behalf of the court, something that had never happened before or after. The verdict was 'guilty'.
I'm sure that Bill's positive influence helped many a young lad over the years.
FROM STEWART McDERMOTT 1972-79 Bill was not only a great teacher (He taught me Physics in my first year) he was also an inspiring leader of the Air Cadets Detached Flight. Whether helping us to use air rifles in the firing range under the stage, building and racing go karts on the bottom playground, or building and flying model aircraft, Bill always tried to make it fun - unlike the army cadets, who spent most of their time doing drill or playing hide and seek!
Bill was instrumental in getting our detached flight integrated with the main cadets, and ensured we went flying with the RAF in two-seater Chipmunks and gliders. His enthusiasm was infectious.
As a sixth former I recall that Bill was tasked with policing The Dove on school disco nights, to prevent underage drinking. I was surprised on one such occasion when Bill bought me a pint, ostensibly because I was an Old Boy, or older than I actually was. Either way I realised he knew what we were doing, and enjoyed the fact he trusted me enough to buy the beer.
Bill was one of the teachers I most respected during my time at CBS, and surely I am not alone in thinking that he and his ilk will be sorely missed.
It's to their credit there are so many boys and girls who are all the better for being taught and influenced by such great and caring teachers.
FROM SIMON TURRELL 1963-70 I was not taught by Bill Mann, but remember him as one of the friendlier and more approachable staff.
He began an Air Training Cadet Corps detachment, and I deserted from the Army cadets to join! Bill arranged gliding sessions, and a memorable visit to the Vulcan bomber base at RAF Cottesmore, which was part of our nuclear deterrent in the sixties.
FROM JOHN PASIECZNIK 1971-78 Nervously arriving at Downing Drive on my first day (After a lengthy journey from Belgrave involving two buses) I found myself in 1M, Bill Mann's form.
All the masters seemed old to us, but Bill was only thirty three in 1971.
I recall Bill saying we were 'tall boys' perhaps because we enjoyed a good diet during the previous decade?) When calling the register, Bill had difficulty pronouncing my name, followed immediately by Poniatowski!
Bill's watch was always fifteen or twenty minutes fast, and when asked why, Bill said he enjoyed teaching so much he did not want his lessons to end!
During my first year I was led astray by other boys - that's my excuse anyway - and began smoking 'down the bike sheds' at lunch (dinner) time. I still don't know how Bill failed to smell smoke on my blazer.
Pipe-smoking Bill may have been old school, but he was a kindly man, and a mentor to me during my seven years at the school. In later years I would see him enjoying a pint in The Dove, and of course greatly enjoyed meeting him at our annual reunions in Clarence House.
FROM ALAN RUDGE 1954-61 I have known Bill since he joined CBS in 1960. John Gillam, Mark (?) Hall. Johnny Edwards and myself were all retaking our Physics 'A' Level, and were privileged to have Bill to teach us. It was a strange year, because by January 1961 we had obtained places at university so the last few months were very relaxed. We all got on really well, and Bill began to oversee the fencing activity. The club had begun in 1959, and Bill took charge from 1961 until I took over in 1976. Bill continued his interest, assisting with the annual school competitions, and for many years was secretary of the East Midlands Fencing Association .
When I returned as a teacher in 1974 I was fortunate to be able to play bridge at lunchtime - yes, we had a decent break then - with Bill, John Lawson, Ken Witts and sometimes Les Willan. By then, Bill was head of a year group, and later became head of the lower school after amalgamation. He was totally dedicated to teaching and the pupils in his care. I was privileged to be a friend and colleague over more than forty years. Bill will be sadly missed, but he had a rewarding career and I pray that he suffered little in his latter years.
FROM KEITH BROWN 1961-69 I was captain of the fencing club, with Bill Mann the master in charge. He was always an enthusiastic presence, with his characteristic curly pipe, and tireless in his support of the club. He freely gave his time to transport team members to various far-flung destinations, either at the weekend or after school. Bill was a very popular figurehead, but also slightly mysterious with his rather interesting mews-type flat at the top end of London Road.
FROM GEOFF GERMAN 1965-71 Bill was such a lovely man, and a great teacher. He even managed to teach me some Physics! No mean feat, as I was absolutely hopeless. I also remember his acute and admirable sense of humour. A truly delightful chap, who will be greatly missed.
FROM DEREK HOLLIS Bill Mann taught me Physics. Later I became curate of St Denys church, Evington, where Bill was the Tower Captain. One young boy was keen to learn bell ringing, but was not tall enough to reach. Bill told him he would bring a box next week for him to stand on.The following week the lad turned up and asked Bill 'Did you bring the box for me?' Bill, who was of course well-used to dealing with young boys, replied 'No, because I expected you would have grown since last week!'
FROM JOHN O'GRADY 1959 -66?? I was very saddened to hear that Bill Mann had passed away. He was my Physics teacher in the autumn of 1962, so a fairly new teacher. At our first class he announced he would offer Physics Prac as an extra subject for those sufficiently interested to stay back for an hour once per week, and as an extra 'O' level exam subject.
It was fantastic. Bill was brilliant at teaching those additional practical skills week after week. I thoroughly enjoyed learning cooling curves, error and confidence bars applied to graphs and so on. He made it so worthwhile I did not mind going home at 5pm in the dark.
Together with Tony Baxter's expertise in teaching maths that was an outstanding time for me, and they cemented my firm interest.
Whilst I was not an outstanding student, thanks to Bill and Tony my interest grew, and after moving to Australia mid sixth-form I chased the topics at university level where I did considerably better.
Sadly I never saw Bill again, but he left a positive and indelible mark on me.
FROM ALAN FISHER 1964-71 Bill was housemaster of Charnwood House. He often called me in for a chat about the shame I brought to the House due to the number of detentions -mostly deserved - I received. Despite that, I always found him to be a kind teacher.
I was also grateful for his encouragement when I was a member of the fencing club.
Definitely in the top five of my CBS teachers.
FROM STEPHEN THOMPSON 1966-73 (Brian Thompson's son) Mr Mann was my Physics teacher for 'A' level in the sixth form (1971-73) and helped me achieve a passable, though not outstanding, 'D ' grade.
I always felt I got on well with Bill, and recognised his loyalty to the school where he did all his teaching - as did Mr Lawrence and Mr Lawson, who also taught Physics.
I knew that Bill was Housemaster of Charnwood (I was in De Montfort) and also that he succeeded Mr Wardle as head of the junior school.
He was very interested in all sports, and often played for the staff cricket and football teams, as well as some refereeing.
At school fetes there was often a 'ducking prefects with water' stall, and Bill was the only master prepared to submit to the challenge.
He was well known for being red/green colour blind, thus making it necessary for the lab assistant to write 'red' and 'green' on the relevant filters.
Being from the county of Norfolk, Bill was very proud of what Norwich City F C achieved.
I came to know Bill better in later life as a member of the Old Humberstone Constitutional Club. I joined in 1996 and remained a member until its closure. Initially he didn't recognise me, but when I gave my name he never forgot it. He was a regular attender, especially on Saturday evenings, when he and a pal, the late Mike Bull who taught at Whitehall primary school, played on the fruit machines. Often they would leave late, their pockets full of coins! Bill served on the club committee, and was President for many years. The duties included chairing the AGM's, which were looked forward to by the members. He was a good quiz master, and often organised the monthly quizzes. Sometimes I was on Bill's team, which often won.
Bill attended St Denys church in Evington. He attended my father's funeral in 2011, and had often asked how he was, especially during the last few months of his life.
He will be much missed by all his former pupils, both those who are Old Wyvernians and those pupils (or students??) at Downing Drive comprehensive co-ed school/college.
FROM KARA MOLYNEUX (Nee Jordan) I was sad to hear this news. Mr Mann was very kind to me when I was a timid teenager. He found me crying one day when I was lost, and after that I always felt he looked out for me. He called me Miss Jordan, I felt so grown up! God bless you Mr Mann, rest well.
FROM ADAM CLAY Very sad news. Bill Mann was a lovely teacher, I still remember my first day at Downing Drive. He christened me Little Sid, because my older brother was already at the school, nicknamed Sid.after the personalised pencils given to him by Sid Clay, our grandfather. Bill was a lovely man, who has clearly left many happy memories. Rest in peace.
FROM GARY BENTLEY 1969-76 Bill introduced me to the Air Cadets, we had some great times flying Chipmunks and gliders; firing .22's, Lee Enfields and SLRs - even a bren gun. Treasured memories, and I still have the ATC target sheet from obtaining my badge at RAF Newton in 1972. Would not have done any of that if it wasn't for Bill. Still can't tell a Hurricane from a Spitfire though...
FROM JULIE POWERS Out of all the teachers ,I still remember Mr Mann. He was such a lovely teacher.
FROM LUCY PHIPPS Sorry to hear this sad news. Mr Mann really was a great teacher and a lovely person.
FROM ANGELA JANE Very sorry to hear this. He was a lovely teacher.
FROM JENNY WHEATLEY Rest in eternal peace, Mr Mann. A great teacher, who made learning fun. Thank you.
FROM THEO FRASER A truly great teacher! He was very kind to me. Mr Bull saved me from being bullied at Whitehall Primary School. We need more like them. Happy memories.
FROM SIMON PARTRIDGE 1966-72 Very sad to read this news. Bill Mann always had a cheery smile for me, my late brother Richard, Pete Luketa ad Brian Carruthers at evensong in St James the Greater.
FROM DENNIS BIGGS 1949-56 I am so sorry to learn of the passing of Bill Mann. He was obviously a well-loved and respected teacher. I did not know Bill, but saw him a couple of times at the reunions.
FROM RALPH PARISH I first met Bill Mann at the end of my first year when in Jouey en Josas??? on a school trip to Paris. He took to calling me Peter, as it alliterated with Parish. I think that Bill and Dave Lawrence taught me Physics all the way through, and I took 'A' level Physics successfully before becoming a Physics teacher myself.
I particularly remember my inability to join the football team. It was a disappointment, but I was a bit weedy early on. Bill ran a 'B' team, which I did join, and he managed this group with patience, humour and encouragement.
Eventually I did break into the first team, and stayed there. I was always grateful for Bill's nurturing.
FROM DENNIS J DUGGAN 1959-64 I am pretty sure Bill never taught me. My only memory is of him often accompanying Jock Gilman to the weekly games afternoons to Grace Rosd or Rushey Fields.
Dennis J Duggan 1959-64
August 20th 2026
o
FROM BOB CHILDS 1976 - 2009 (Staff) In 1972 I used to catch a bus from Watton, Norfolk, to Kings Lynn to complete my final year at grammar school. The coach made its way via various villages, including one called Merton. In 1976 my teaching career began at the City of Leiceater School and I met William Merton Mann - not realising he had been born in the village of that name.
During the 1980's, I played cricket in the Leicestershire League, and was selected to play in the Midlands League final at Edgbaston. It was Bill who helped persuade the Head to let me have the day off school, and I was able to play a major part in the Leicestershire League victory as a very accurate leg spinner.
As I got to know Bill, I realised he was a wonderful person, and the remarkable service he gave to local football. We frequently teased him about his Norfolk accent as he read reports of school matches in assembly as Head of Lower School. The word boots was pronounced as boats.
He was an exceptional colleague, who was widely respected and became a good friend. Meeting him in The Dove, after his retirement, with pipe always in hand, was a real pleasure.
A wonderful teacher and, as one of my colleagues said, a top bloke who gave far more to the two schools than many people realised up to - and even beyond - his retirement. It was a privilege to have known Bill.
FROM DAVID G WINTER 1959-67 Bill taught me in 1960-61, my second year, when he had just arrived at the school as a young, I guess, probationer teacher. I can't say he helped me to 'get' Physics, let alone enjoy it, so I proceeded along the 'L' rather than the 'S' pathway towards the sixth form.
However, looking back, what I remember is that he was one of the very first teachers I experienced who was able to engender respect without needing to assume a hard, authoritarian carapace to cover his own good nature. Bill's easy manner fostered engagement with the subject and himself. In those days, as the school was then, I think that was something pretty unusual, and an indication he was one of those rare phenomena - a born teacher.
My acquaintance with Bill Mann was brief and limited. It is clear, though, that he is held in high esteem, and remembered with great affection by generations of pupils who, thanks to him, did go on to 'get' and love Physics. I can easily understand why.
FROM CHRIS TATTON I was sorry to hear about the death of Bill Mann, my old Physics teacher.
He taught me in my 'O' level year, and between us we managed to get a grade B, which I was pretty pleased with.
Bill was such a good, enthusiastic, teacher that I wanted to do 'A' level Physics, but unfortunately I couldn't fit it into my timetable with Economics and Geography.
How differently my life might have turned out had I been able to take 'A' level Physics...
So thank you, Bill. RIP.
FROM ANDY BENNETT 1969-75 Bill was so welcoming to we 1969 first-formers, and his Physics lessons acted as a catalyst to me taking up a life-long interest in astronomy and space exploration. Bill was mindful that some of us (me included!) were not strong in mathematics, and would work through the formulas twice. Once for the high-fliers in calculus, and again for the non-calcule members, Equation; \(a=\frac{v-u}{t} etc.
His inspiration led to me meeting Buzz Aldrin at the Leicester Space Centre a few years ago, and to have a conversation with some of the controllers on the ill-fated Apollo 13 mission.
I thought of Bill whilst watching the recent solar eclipse in Cornwall. I am a member of the Norman Lockyer observatory, a few miles from where I live in Devon.
Thank you, Bill, for enriching my life.
FROM CHRIS SEAL 1974-82 In 1974 it was still City Boys and a grammar school (We were the last grammar school year) and Bill Mann was head of the junior school. I think that, because of his pipe, black gown and tweed jacket, we thought he was older than he actually was.
He taught me Physics, and during the first lesson he asked what was Physics. I didn't know, and Bill replied,'don't worry, you will by the time you reach 'O' level. Five years later he asked me the same question. I still didn't really know, but it was enough to obtain a 'C' grade.
Bill was a lovely gentleman, and still remembered me when he bumped into my parents in The Cedars - pint in one hand, pipe in the other.
FROM ALAN PYKETT 1959-66 Bill never taught me, so my memory is that he was one of the three masters on the school trip to Paris in the summer of 1965. Mr Orton was the lead master, supported by Mr Baguley and Mr Mann.
I am sure that Bill made a large contribution to the trip's success, with his laid-back manner shining through.
We saw all the sights of Paris, plus some of the surrounding area, including the Palace of Versailles.
On a personal note, this was my first trip abroad and my first experience of flying - two things I found very exciting.
Memories of a lovely gentleman.
FROM MIKE LONG I attended CBS from the mid sixties to the early seventies, and have fond memories of Bill Mann. He always brought Physics to life. When teaching escape velocity it came under the headings 'Men wishing to get away from it all parts 1 & 2'. When teaching the rate of cooling he asked, 'If you'd just made a coffee, and the phone rang, should you put the milk in before answering it, or after the call?'
I still remember these at the age of seventy one, so they must have worked.
I also remember Bill's sly chuckle when telling us that the alternative unit of measurement to hertz, for cycles per second, was rentavan, which he pronounced with a French accent.
A few years after leaving school I bumped into Bill. He was ringing the bells at St Denys' church for my school pal's wedding. He was a gent then, and always.
FROM GEOFF MANCHESTER 1961-66 I was never taught by Bill Mann. However, for some years after leaving school I would occasionally bump into him at Grace Road watching the cricket. He would not have known me, so one day I introduced myself and we had a brief chat about the old school days.
FROM DEAN SWANN 1971-77 Coming from a working class background on the Netherhall council estate, joining CBS came as a great shock! Sons of doctors, lawyers etc, with swimming pools at their houses and sixth formers driving cars.
Bill Mann gave me the confidence to survive my first few months, and always referred to me as Dean Thomas, my christian names.
Physics was my only science subject for 'O' level, and I received an 'A'.
I went on to have a thirty year career in the police force, and came across Bill as a magistrate. On one occasion I was called to give evidence in a not guilty plea for some forgotten minor misdemeanor. We never conversed, but after completing my evidence Bill thanked me, on behalf of the court, something that had never happened before or after. The verdict was 'guilty'.
I'm sure that Bill's positive influence helped many a young lad over the years.
FROM STEWART McDERMOTT 1972-79 Bill was not only a great teacher (He taught me Physics in my first year) he was also an inspiring leader of the Air Cadets Detached Flight. Whether helping us to use air rifles in the firing range under the stage, building and racing go karts on the bottom playground, or building and flying model aircraft, Bill always tried to make it fun - unlike the army cadets, who spent most of their time doing drill or playing hide and seek!
Bill was instrumental in getting our detached flight integrated with the main cadets, and ensured we went flying with the RAF in two-seater Chipmunks and gliders. His enthusiasm was infectious.
As a sixth former I recall that Bill was tasked with policing The Dove on school disco nights, to prevent underage drinking. I was surprised on one such occasion when Bill bought me a pint, ostensibly because I was an Old Boy, or older than I actually was. Either way I realised he knew what we were doing, and enjoyed the fact he trusted me enough to buy the beer.
Bill was one of the teachers I most respected during my time at CBS, and surely I am not alone in thinking that he and his ilk will be sorely missed.
It's to their credit there are so many boys and girls who are all the better for being taught and influenced by such great and caring teachers.
FROM SIMON TURRELL 1963-70 I was not taught by Bill Mann, but remember him as one of the friendlier and more approachable staff.
He began an Air Training Cadet Corps detachment, and I deserted from the Army cadets to join! Bill arranged gliding sessions, and a memorable visit to the Vulcan bomber base at RAF Cottesmore, which was part of our nuclear deterrent in the sixties.
FROM JOHN PASIECZNIK 1971-78 Nervously arriving at Downing Drive on my first day (After a lengthy journey from Belgrave involving two buses) I found myself in 1M, Bill Mann's form.
All the masters seemed old to us, but Bill was only thirty three in 1971.
I recall Bill saying we were 'tall boys' perhaps because we enjoyed a good diet during the previous decade?) When calling the register, Bill had difficulty pronouncing my name, followed immediately by Poniatowski!
Bill's watch was always fifteen or twenty minutes fast, and when asked why, Bill said he enjoyed teaching so much he did not want his lessons to end!
During my first year I was led astray by other boys - that's my excuse anyway - and began smoking 'down the bike sheds' at lunch (dinner) time. I still don't know how Bill failed to smell smoke on my blazer.
Pipe-smoking Bill may have been old school, but he was a kindly man, and a mentor to me during my seven years at the school. In later years I would see him enjoying a pint in The Dove, and of course greatly enjoyed meeting him at our annual reunions in Clarence House.
FROM ALAN RUDGE 1954-61 I have known Bill since he joined CBS in 1960. John Gillam, Mark (?) Hall. Johnny Edwards and myself were all retaking our Physics 'A' Level, and were privileged to have Bill to teach us. It was a strange year, because by January 1961 we had obtained places at university so the last few months were very relaxed. We all got on really well, and Bill began to oversee the fencing activity. The club had begun in 1959, and Bill took charge from 1961 until I took over in 1976. Bill continued his interest, assisting with the annual school competitions, and for many years was secretary of the East Midlands Fencing Association .
When I returned as a teacher in 1974 I was fortunate to be able to play bridge at lunchtime - yes, we had a decent break then - with Bill, John Lawson, Ken Witts and sometimes Les Willan. By then, Bill was head of a year group, and later became head of the lower school after amalgamation. He was totally dedicated to teaching and the pupils in his care. I was privileged to be a friend and colleague over more than forty years. Bill will be sadly missed, but he had a rewarding career and I pray that he suffered little in his latter years.
FROM KEITH BROWN 1961-69 I was captain of the fencing club, with Bill Mann the master in charge. He was always an enthusiastic presence, with his characteristic curly pipe, and tireless in his support of the club. He freely gave his time to transport team members to various far-flung destinations, either at the weekend or after school. Bill was a very popular figurehead, but also slightly mysterious with his rather interesting mews-type flat at the top end of London Road.
FROM GEOFF GERMAN 1965-71 Bill was such a lovely man, and a great teacher. He even managed to teach me some Physics! No mean feat, as I was absolutely hopeless. I also remember his acute and admirable sense of humour. A truly delightful chap, who will be greatly missed.
FROM DEREK HOLLIS Bill Mann taught me Physics. Later I became curate of St Denys church, Evington, where Bill was the Tower Captain. One young boy was keen to learn bell ringing, but was not tall enough to reach. Bill told him he would bring a box next week for him to stand on.The following week the lad turned up and asked Bill 'Did you bring the box for me?' Bill, who was of course well-used to dealing with young boys, replied 'No, because I expected you would have grown since last week!'
FROM JOHN O'GRADY 1959 -66?? I was very saddened to hear that Bill Mann had passed away. He was my Physics teacher in the autumn of 1962, so a fairly new teacher. At our first class he announced he would offer Physics Prac as an extra subject for those sufficiently interested to stay back for an hour once per week, and as an extra 'O' level exam subject.
It was fantastic. Bill was brilliant at teaching those additional practical skills week after week. I thoroughly enjoyed learning cooling curves, error and confidence bars applied to graphs and so on. He made it so worthwhile I did not mind going home at 5pm in the dark.
Together with Tony Baxter's expertise in teaching maths that was an outstanding time for me, and they cemented my firm interest.
Whilst I was not an outstanding student, thanks to Bill and Tony my interest grew, and after moving to Australia mid sixth-form I chased the topics at university level where I did considerably better.
Sadly I never saw Bill again, but he left a positive and indelible mark on me.
FROM ALAN FISHER 1964-71 Bill was housemaster of Charnwood House. He often called me in for a chat about the shame I brought to the House due to the number of detentions -mostly deserved - I received. Despite that, I always found him to be a kind teacher.
I was also grateful for his encouragement when I was a member of the fencing club.
Definitely in the top five of my CBS teachers.
FROM STEPHEN THOMPSON 1966-73 (Brian Thompson's son) Mr Mann was my Physics teacher for 'A' level in the sixth form (1971-73) and helped me achieve a passable, though not outstanding, 'D ' grade.
I always felt I got on well with Bill, and recognised his loyalty to the school where he did all his teaching - as did Mr Lawrence and Mr Lawson, who also taught Physics.
I knew that Bill was Housemaster of Charnwood (I was in De Montfort) and also that he succeeded Mr Wardle as head of the junior school.
He was very interested in all sports, and often played for the staff cricket and football teams, as well as some refereeing.
At school fetes there was often a 'ducking prefects with water' stall, and Bill was the only master prepared to submit to the challenge.
He was well known for being red/green colour blind, thus making it necessary for the lab assistant to write 'red' and 'green' on the relevant filters.
Being from the county of Norfolk, Bill was very proud of what Norwich City F C achieved.
I came to know Bill better in later life as a member of the Old Humberstone Constitutional Club. I joined in 1996 and remained a member until its closure. Initially he didn't recognise me, but when I gave my name he never forgot it. He was a regular attender, especially on Saturday evenings, when he and a pal, the late Mike Bull who taught at Whitehall primary school, played on the fruit machines. Often they would leave late, their pockets full of coins! Bill served on the club committee, and was President for many years. The duties included chairing the AGM's, which were looked forward to by the members. He was a good quiz master, and often organised the monthly quizzes. Sometimes I was on Bill's team, which often won.
Bill attended St Denys church in Evington. He attended my father's funeral in 2011, and had often asked how he was, especially during the last few months of his life.
He will be much missed by all his former pupils, both those who are Old Wyvernians and those pupils (or students??) at Downing Drive comprehensive co-ed school/college.
FROM KARA MOLYNEUX (Nee Jordan) I was sad to hear this news. Mr Mann was very kind to me when I was a timid teenager. He found me crying one day when I was lost, and after that I always felt he looked out for me. He called me Miss Jordan, I felt so grown up! God bless you Mr Mann, rest well.
FROM ADAM CLAY Very sad news. Bill Mann was a lovely teacher, I still remember my first day at Downing Drive. He christened me Little Sid, because my older brother was already at the school, nicknamed Sid.after the personalised pencils given to him by Sid Clay, our grandfather. Bill was a lovely man, who has clearly left many happy memories. Rest in peace.
FROM GARY BENTLEY 1969-76 Bill introduced me to the Air Cadets, we had some great times flying Chipmunks and gliders; firing .22's, Lee Enfields and SLRs - even a bren gun. Treasured memories, and I still have the ATC target sheet from obtaining my badge at RAF Newton in 1972. Would not have done any of that if it wasn't for Bill. Still can't tell a Hurricane from a Spitfire though...
FROM JULIE POWERS Out of all the teachers ,I still remember Mr Mann. He was such a lovely teacher.
FROM LUCY PHIPPS Sorry to hear this sad news. Mr Mann really was a great teacher and a lovely person.
FROM ANGELA JANE Very sorry to hear this. He was a lovely teacher.
FROM JENNY WHEATLEY Rest in eternal peace, Mr Mann. A great teacher, who made learning fun. Thank you.
FROM THEO FRASER A truly great teacher! He was very kind to me. Mr Bull saved me from being bullied at Whitehall Primary School. We need more like them. Happy memories.
FROM SIMON PARTRIDGE 1966-72 Very sad to read this news. Bill Mann always had a cheery smile for me, my late brother Richard, Pete Luketa ad Brian Carruthers at evensong in St James the Greater.
FROM DENNIS BIGGS 1949-56 I am so sorry to learn of the passing of Bill Mann. He was obviously a well-loved and respected teacher. I did not know Bill, but saw him a couple of times at the reunions.
FROM RALPH PARISH I first met Bill Mann at the end of my first year when in Jouey en Josas??? on a school trip to Paris. He took to calling me Peter, as it alliterated with Parish. I think that Bill and Dave Lawrence taught me Physics all the way through, and I took 'A' level Physics successfully before becoming a Physics teacher myself.
I particularly remember my inability to join the football team. It was a disappointment, but I was a bit weedy early on. Bill ran a 'B' team, which I did join, and he managed this group with patience, humour and encouragement.
Eventually I did break into the first team, and stayed there. I was always grateful for Bill's nurturing.
FROM DENNIS J DUGGAN 1959-64 I am pretty sure Bill never taught me. My only memory is of him often accompanying Jock Gilman to the weekly games afternoons to Grace Rosd or Rushey Fields.
Dennis J Duggan 1959-64
August 20th 2026
o